Holidays in Rhodes

When I first visited Greece I was 2 years old and I don't remember anything. So I decided to make new memories and go to Greece again......

When I first visited Greece I was 2 years old and I don't remember anything. So I decided to make new memories and go to Greece again... after 23 years.




(And I apologize in advance for too many photos of the sea. I don't live near the ocean or the sea and I just love the feeling when you're standing on the beach and watch the waves. #sorrynotsorry)



Rhodes

I visited Rhodes-west coast of the island and the capital. The beaches on the west coast are pebbly, with rather bigger waves and the weather is windy most of the times. Not ideal for families with little children, on the other hand, suitable for me, because the beaches were almost empty. (Yeees!) And the sunsets! Every night, people gathered on the beach with their phones and took tons and tons of photos with their beloved ones and with the sunset in the background. Ok, I did that once or twice too, but the rest of the evening I was just sitting on a sunbed and watched the Sun goes down. 




These photos don´t even show how insanely beautiful the sunsets looked.



Everyone loves something different, I adore sunsets.

Little bit of history and mythology


Okay, back on the track. The only thing I knew about Rhodes was that one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World was standing there - The Colossus of Rhodes. And I also read a myth about Helios. Back in the days, when the world was rulled by Gods, Zeus decided to divide the Earth between the Olympian Gods. Unfortunately, during this dividing, one of them was busy and Zeus forgot about him-Helios (Sun God), however, when Helios found out, he wasn´t mad or anything, he just said that the island that would emerge from the sea the next morning would be his. And this island that emerged from the sea at dawn the next day was Rhodes - an island of Sun (300 sunny days/year).




Past and Present

After 54 years of protecting the city of Rhodes, The Colossus of Rhodes was destroyed during an earthquake and fell into the sea. That is why nowadays, instead of huge Colossus, you can see a deer and a doe. If you are wondering why, the fallow deer is a symbol of Rhodes.







Another significant part of the city of Rhodes is an old town. It´s surrounded by medieval walls and has seven gates. These gates separate two different worlds. However, these days, the Old Town is full ou tourists, shops, bars and restaurants. Luckily, there are still tons of romantic streets and old buildings.











And did I mention we drove to Rhodes City twice? We wanted to see the city at night...
and it was absolutely worth it!



And I also shouldn´t forget about our accomodation. I spent hours and hours reading and searching the best hotel and I thinks I found it. I didn´t know what to expect, but it turned out just fine. Even great! We had one of the best rooms in the hotel, the staff was amazing, the food was delicious and on our last day we were soo emotional and didn´t want to leave. 



And one last thing: Greek donuts! Oh. My. God. I miss them so much. And also Frappé. Of course, you can buy coffee almost everywhere, but drinking Greek Frappé in Greece, on the beach it´s perfect. 



I am already looking forward to next summer.


Take care and have a great day,
 Kate




P.S.: Soon after my arrival home, I decided to visit as many Greek islands as possible.
 because Greece really got me!


You Might Also Like

0 komentářů