Anthropoid (Review)

I have finally seen ANTHROPOID. A film based on true events that happened in Czechoslovakia during the world war II. I didn't want to se...

I have finally seen ANTHROPOID. A film based on true events that happened in Czechoslovakia during the world war II. I didn't want to see the film at first, because war films aren't my cup of tea, but on the other hand I know the history of my country (yes, I live in the Czech Republic) and this film shows only events I already know about from school, because the second world war was pretty devastating for our country and knowledge of history and also reminder of all the horrible things that happened is good for us to never let it happen againg.

What was the operation Anthropoid

During the second world war Czechoslovakia became Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia which was a result of an occupation by Nazi Germany. The Reich Protector in years 1941 to 1942 was Reinhard Heydrich. He was the man who stood behind the Final Solution to the Jewish Question and I bet you've heard about this term before, either at school or you may have seen some films about Holocaust. After Adolf Hitler, Heydrich was one of the worst. So the aim of Operation Anthropoid was easy: to assassinate Heydrich. Due to the fact that he was very important man for Nazis, assassinate him was a death sentence for the main actors in his assassination. So to make the long story short, Operation Anhtropoid was really dangerous.



Film Anthropoid

The main characters (the two men who were supposed to assassinate Heydrich) Jozef Gabčík and Jan Kubiš are played by Cilian Murphy and Jamie Dornan). People who helped them and who were part of a Czech Rezistance are played by English speaking actors and also by some Czech actors. The film was filmed in Prague where the assassination took place and it makes the film even more realistic. The only thing I didn't like about the film is the language. The whole film is filmed in English and even for me it's easy to say which actor is a Native English speaker and who is Czech, so I think it would be better if the film was with Czech dubbing and English subtitles, because that would make the whole story more realistic and for us, Czechs, more natural. However, I guess that English speaking people dont't like reading subtitles in the films because they don't have to... 

Actors, places, story

Let's talk about the actors! Some of them I know from Czech films and some of them from American or English films. The man who I love the most in the film is indisputably Cilian Murphy, I like him as an actor and I also liked his character in this film, He was a real hero and he didn't care he may lose it all. Jamie Dornan is also a very attractive man, but for me he is and always will be Mr. Christian Grey. Charlotte le Bon who played Marie was a typical example of a naive girl who thinks war is a romantic and her friend Lenka who is a complete  oppositeto Marie was portrayed by a Czech actress Anna Geisler. And I have to mention one more woman who was excellent in her role, Alena Mihulova, who played Mrs. Moravec. 
As I mentioned above, the location of the film was in Prague where the whole even happened in 1942 and Prague is a romantic city, which wasn't that romantic during the war, but still very nice. 
And the story? Realistic, depressing, heroic, sad, unbelievable. If you want to go back to history and remind yourself what happend in war, go and watch Anthropoid. It's not romantic, it's not nice, but its true. 



Kate


You Might Also Like

0 komentářů